Trauma-Informed & Community Yoga Teacher Training
60 Hours | Kula Muriwai
May 4-9 2021
Our 60hr certificate training in Trauma-informed and Community Yoga is designed for existing yoga teachers wishing to gain foundational theory and skills for teaching trauma sensitive and trauma-informed yoga with various community groups and settings.
Our approach emphasises evidence-based practice, experiential learning, and is designed to meet the specific cultural context of Aotearoa/New Zealand as well as broader global contexts.
The 60hrs includes online peer support and mentoring, and where possible, opportunities for getting involved directly in community programs with our partner organisations.
We draw from our own combined decades of learning and experience in embodied yoga, psychology, teaching ACC funded trauma sensitive classes, teaching in prisons, as well as from approaches and leaders in the field, including: Amber Gray (Body As Voice somatic trauma therapy; Polyvagal-informed movement therapy), David Emerson & Bessel van der Kolk (Trauma Centre Trauma Sensitive Yoga), Tara Judelle & Scott Lyons (Embodied Flow and somatic therapy), Trauma Sensitive Yoga Australia, Bonnie Bainbridge-Cohen (Body-Mind Centering).
Our 60hr Certificate training offers:
- Understanding trauma and the body, including evidence-based research on trauma theory, neurophysiology and the lived experience
- Trauma-informed yoga & somatic movement principles, practices and teaching skills (including in the studio and community settings)
- Non-duality in the context of trauma and embodiment
- Foundations in culturally responsive and anti-oppressive practices for yoga teaching
- Foundations in understanding power, social justice and decolonisation and how that relates to yoga and trauma
- Seva (selfless service and inspired action) in a community-based context
- Introduction to developing and delivering yoga programs in complex community environments
- Personal transformation and leadership skills
- Online support and opportunities for participation/mentoring in existing community programmes.